Rocco could have lost a paw in freak accident in the garden of his Newarthill home – Daily Record
Dog lover Margaret Harkison was left distraught when her pet Rocco almost lost one of his paws in a freak accident.
The two-year-old Lurcher had been let out into the garden of their home in Knowe Crescent, Newarthill when she heard him let out an almighty howl.
Margaret, 77, looked out to see her dog had sustained a horror injury to his front paw.
Rocco had attempted to jump the fence in Margaret’s front garden after hearing a neighbour’s dog barking.
“Rocco still had his leash on when he ran out the front,”Margaret revealed.
“I heard a really loud howl which made my heart drop.
“I rushed to the window to see him limping next to the fence.
“When I brought him inside and saw his paw was bleeding badly.”
The fur and skin on Rocco’s paw had been torn off like a glove in what’s known as a “de-gloving injury”.
The quick thinking mum-of-four, who has 13 great-grandchildren, realised the extent of the injury and took immediate action.
“We knew we had to quickly put pressure on to stop the bleeding and call the vet”, she continued.
“We called PDSA and they told us to bring him in straight away.
“When we got to the Pet Hospital they rushed straight through.
“I was in tears, I was so worried about him.”
Rocco was treated at Glasgow East PDSA Pet Hospital in Parkhead.
Emma Lawson, a registered vet nurse with PDSA, said: “Rocco had what’s known as a ‘de-gloving’ injury, which is where a section of skin is completely torn off from the underlying soft tissue, muscle or bone.
“We sedated him so we could clean and dress the wound and took x-rays to check he had no broken bones.”
Rocco has fully recovered and is now living just around the corner from Margaret with her daughter Sharon Carroll, 55, who owns his mother.
“Rocco was getting too much for me but I still get to see him all the time”, Margaret admitted.
“He is always full of carry-on and goes into my pocket for treats”.
Margaret, who also has a Jack Russell named Toby, doesn’t know how she would have managed without the help of the PDSA charity.
She added: “I can’t thank them enough. They are brilliant.
“I know that his treatment cost the charity hundreds of pounds.
“I would have struggled to afford that, so I am very grateful to PDSA for their help and have contributed what I can. They are wonderful.”
PDSA have produced a pet first aid guide with lots of helpful information and advice.
You can get a free copy of the guide, and sign up for PDSA Pet First Aid courses, you can log onto their website www.pdsa.org.uk/firstaid