Criminal News
Curiosities from the world, criminal news

Heartbroken mother pleads for end to street violence as young man, 27, dies after being rammed by car in gang fight in Wembley

0 0

The mother of a young man who died after being rammed by a BMW car during a suspected gang fight called for an end to street violence today.

Council worker Gopinath Kasivisuwanathan, 27, was injured when he was run down during a brawl outside Alperton tube station, in Wembley, in the early hours of Tuesday. He died in hospital that evening.

Witnesses told how two groups were fighting with bottles in a running battle along Ealing Road. Police also found belts and poles used as weapons. 

Today Mr Kasivisuwanathan’s family paid tribute to the “popular and loving” Kingston University graduate who worked as a benefit assessment officer for Brent council.

Mr Kasivisuwanathan was injured when he was run down during a brawl outside Alperton tube station, in Wembley (Jeremy Selwyn)

His heartbroken mother Sumitra appealed for an end to the bloodshed on the streets. She said: “We want the police to find out who did this and get justice for my son. 

“There is more and more crime in London and it must stop. We have lost so many lives in every community. We want the violence to stop. It cannot be allowed to go on. I’ve lost my son and no family should go through this.”

Mrs Kasivisuwanathan said the family was still in the dark about how he died, adding: “He went to work on Monday and in the evening he went to the cinema. We don’t know what happened after that.

“He was a nice guy; very popular and loving. He had a girlfriend and was planning to marry her next year. 

“He had been working for Brent council as a benefit assessment officer for the last six months and loved it. He had lots of friends at work and from university.”

Brent council leader Muhammed Butt said: “Gopinath was a dedicated and highly respected member of our customer services team and will be sorely missed by his colleagues.”

Friends also paid tribute, with one saying: “We’ve lost a brother and a strong, hard-working man and family man. He was humble, he was ambitious, he was smart, he had good intentions for everyone.” Another added: “He was a friendly, joyful person to be around.”

Friends gathered near the scene of the violence and held a vigil for him, leaving flowers and cards last night. 

One read: “You will be truly missed. Your presence was like the brightest star in the sky. You always had the biggest and brightest smile on your face. I will miss that smile. May God bless you with all the peace and give strength to your family. Sending lots of love your way.”

A 21-year-old man who was also hit by the car was taken to hospital but later discharged.

A 35-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in custody.  Eight men aged between 21 and 30 also arrested in connection with the incident have been bailed until mid-May.

Detectives urged motorists with dashcam footage or other witnesses to call 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Original »