Badly burned toddler flown to hospital after horrific accident at railway festival – Daily Post
A toddler suffered horrific burns when a pot of boiling water toppled onto him during the Llangollen 1940s festival weekend celebrations.
Austin Stewart had to be airlifted from Carrog station to Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool.
He had been at the wartime-themed event with his mum Anneka Hulse and dad Alexander Stewart when the accident happened.
Two-year-old Austin caught his foot on the stove and it fell over, covering him in boiling water.
Mum Miss Hulse said her son was screaming in pain from the burns all down his right side and on both legs from his thighs to his knees.
She said the family had been at a military display as part of the Home Front Weekend at Carrog station when when the accident happened.
She added: “There was someone cooking on a stove which was quite low to the ground and there was a pot or old style kettle on it.
“Austin was trying on the hats and walking a couple of feet away when he caught his foot on the stove and it came off and fell on him.”
Horrified onlookers rallied round to help and one doused Austin with cold water.
A first responder arrived but only had two cold compress pads to hand.
So they improvised, placing Austin to an empty bin and continuing to douse him with water.
Miss Hulse, who said she had gone into shock at seeing the scale of Austin’s injuries, said she believed the quick-thinking on the part of those who rushed to help may have helped to save some of Austin’s skin.
She added: “The lady kept getting water to pour on Austin, and I think she saved some of his skin. He was in shock and it looked like there was steam coming off him as they poured the water on him.
“I was in shock at the time and everything was a bit of a blur. You just don’t expect these things to happen. Alexander was very good. He was helping to get his clothing off.”
The youngster was flown to the Liverpool children’s hospital, where shop worker dad Alexander stayed with him overnight.
He is likely to have to remain in hospital for at least a week, and is covered in bandages.
Miss Hulse, from Bebbington on the Wirral, added: “He’s got quite bad burns. The hospital is not sure whether he is going to need skin grafts. He had to be put to sleep last night and he’s bandaged from head to toe. He’s in a pretty bad way.”
She said doctors said they will know more about the extent of damage done to his skin on Tuesday, when Austin’s bandages come off and his wounds are examined.
A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman said they were called to treat a burns victim at around 11.45am on Saturday, and the child was flown to Alder Hey for treatment.
Miss Hulse added: “I’m still in total shock. It doesn’t feel real that something like this would happen at an event like that. You just don’t think there would be something there that would that to a child.”