Murder accused gunned down former friend in north London cemetery over 'bad blood', court told
A 22-year-old man was shot dead in a north London cemetery after meeting a former friend to resolve their “bad blood”, a court has heard.
Ismail Tanrikulu shouted “you think it’s me” before he was fatally shot on the morning of September 3 last year in Tottenham Cemetery, jurors were told.
The Old Bailey on Monday heard a bullet passed through his arm and into his abdomen.
His alleged killer, 21-year-old Musa Duru, had fallen out with Mr Tanrikulu before the meeting in north London, it was claimed.
Duru was allegedly accompanied by a second man who was seen on CCTV carrying a “man bag” over his shoulder as they entered the cemetery with a loaded gun.
Within days of the shooting, the second man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, fled to Turkey, jurors heard.
Prosecutor Julian Evans said told how Mr Tanrikulu had gone to the cemetery with his cousin, who had parked up and waited outside in his Audi.
Mr Evans said: “By that September morning, Ismail Tanrikulu and Musa Duru were well known to one another and, for a time it would seem, it appeared they had been on friendly terms.
“However, by that morning it would appear there had been some sort of falling out between the two of them.
“As he left the Audi, Mr Tanrikulu was planning to meet Musa Duru – in doing so he hoped no doubt to sort out the issue between them amicably.”
The witness allegedly heard his cousin shout “you think it’s me” moments before two load bangs.
He reversed his car for a better view and saw Mr Tanrikulu lying on the ground, with his head down and holding his side, the court heard.
The second alleged killer held up the man bag and pointed it towards him, prompting the witness to speed off in his car, the prosecutor said.
Mr Evans said the identities of the men in the cemetery were not in dispute but the circumstances of the shooting were.
He told jurors it would be claimed on Duru’s behalf that the victim had stolen some cannabis.
The defendant would say Mr Tanrikulu had been aggressive towards him at the cemetery and there was a scuffle when the second man stepped in.
Duru claimed he was walking away when he heard the shot and was later told it was Mr Tanrikulu’s gun.
But Mr Evans said: “It is the prosecution’s case that by the morning of September 3 last year there had been a falling out between the defendant and Mr Tanrikulu.
“That morning, by phone, arrangements had been made for the two of them to meet.”
He said Duru and the second man had acted together “as a team” and had armed themselves with a loaded gun.
He added: “The bad blood that did exist was between Mr Tanrikulu and this defendant Mr Duru.”
Duru, of Great Cambridge Road, Tottenham, north London, has denied murder.
The trial continues.