Man involved in burglary at Barnardo’s charity shop is jailed for two years at Lincoln Crown Court
A burglar involved in a raid on a charity shop in Bourne has been jailed for two years today (Friday).
Jason O’Keefe was one of five men involved in the raid at the Barnardo’s shop in Sedgefield Court, Elsea Park, in September this year.
Edna Leonard, prosecuting, said the intruders smashed two windows to get into the shop and then tried to forced the safe.
Miss Leonard told the court “The burglary took place at round about 1 am when police had been alerted to a number of men acting suspiciously in Musselburgh Way, Bourne.
“The men were near to the Co-Op and Barnardo’s shops when a police officer arrived and saw there was a vehicle outside.
“There were two males in the vehicle and they drove off.”
Miss Leonard said the officer then went into the Barnardo’s building and discovered two men inside.
One of the burglars shouted “You can have it, I’m going to have you” before spraying a red substance towards the officer who then backed off for his own safety.
The intruders took some items of jewellery and left the scene.
But later the same morning O’Keefe was picked up by police while walking alongside the A15.
He claimed to have been to at a party and was making his way home.
But O’Keefe was arrested and forensic tests on his clothing revealed fragments of glass from the shattered shop window.
O’Keefe, 39, of no fixed address, admitted burglary as a result of the incident on September 7 this year and was jailed for two years at Lincoln Crown Court.
Diane Mundill, in mitigation, said that O’Keefe’s involvement was to smash the window which allowed others to go inside.
She said: “He never went inside the shop himself as there were five of them.
“But he smashed the window.”
Miss Mundill added that O’Keefe had a long history of drug use but came off class A drugs two years ago.
The court was also told that O’Keefe has recently seen a psychiatrist and been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder.
“He is hopeful that he will be able to use his time in custody to make progress with his mental health treatment,” Miss Mundill said.
The prosecution offered no evidence against two brothers charged with the same burglary and both were formally cleared.
Derek Nash (45), of no fixed address, and Scott Nash (38), of Drummond Close, Hampton Gardens, Peterborough, had each denied burglary.