A young man has been arrested on suspicion of GBH after falling onto a woman from an upper floor of Westfield in Stratford.

The 24-year-old suspect is said to have caused life-changing injuries to the shopper on Wednesday afternoon.

Photos taken from the massive shopping complex in east London show two people on the ground, surrounded by emergency services.

Man falls from upstairs of Stratford Westfield onto another shopper Picture: @faridque METROGRAB https://twitter.com/faridque/status/1052579116052930561
Security guards cleared the area before emergency services arrived at Stratford Westfield (Picture: @faridque / Twitter)

Witnesses, including families eating at the food court, said a man ‘fell from a height’.

Now a suspect has been arrested in hospital on suspicion of GBH and reckless endangerment, Metropolitan Police confirmed.

A force spokesman told Metro.co.uk: ‘Police were called at approximately 16:00hrs on Wednesday October 17 to reports of a man fallen from a height and a woman injured at Westfield Shopping Centre, Stratford.

‘Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended.

? Licensed to London News Pictures. 13/10/2018. London UK: Security staff at the Westfield shoppin g centre in Stratford where a shopper is believed to have fallen from the upper levels onto a shopper on the lower level at around 3.30 this afternoon. Both shoppers are in hospital in a critical condition , Photo credit: Steve Poston/LNP
The man is believed to have fallen from the top floor onto a shopper on the ground level (Picture: Steve Poston/LNP)
Man falls from upstairs of Stratford Westfield onto another shopper Picture: @Moliblog METROGRAB PERMISSION GRANTED
A privacy screen was put around the incident (Picture: @Moliblog / Twitter)

‘Both were taken to hospital and neither person’s condition is deemed to be life-threatening, however the woman’s injuries are believed to be life-changing.


‘The man, aged 24, was arrested at hospital on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and reckless endangerment of life. He remains in hospital.

‘Enquiries into the circumstances remain ongoing.’

An anonymous witness told Essex Live: ‘I was walking through the shopping centre to get to the station when I saw the barriers.

‘They landed right outside the food court, which is the busiest place. ‘It didn’t look good at the scene, the ambulance crew weren’t in a rush, which is never a good sign.’